You care about the beauty of music, and you have a passion for teaching. You want children to discover the joy and the outlet that music provides. With the field endorsement in music education, you’ll be able to teach it all – elementary music, and directing choirs, orchestras, and bands in grades K-12. And with the endorsement to teach in all areas of music, you’ll have even more opportunities to get a job in a school setting.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
If you choose the vocal and instrumental music field endorsement, you are not required to choose any other endorsements to receive your B.A. or B.S.
For field endorsement: 60
For professional education: 36
General education: 41
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours minimum (education programs may require more)
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Music theory and ear training
- Music software: Finale, Sonar, Pyware 3D, and Audacity
- Playing piano, guitar, woodwinds, brass, strings, and percussion
- Instrumental and choral conducting
- History and literature of music
- Performance with large and small ensembles
- Vocal and instrumental instruction techniques
- Classroom management and leadership
- Human development and cognition
- Project and time management
- Adaptability / flexibility
- Music teacher
- Band director
- Choir director
- Orchestra director
- Private instructor
- Music producer / editor
- Music education consultant
- Talent scout / manager
- Education consultant
- Church musician
- Elementary schools
- Middle schools
- High schools
- Performance groups
- Talent agencies
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. They appear regularly throughout the region as clinicians, performing artists, guest conductors, and competition judges. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, art shows, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- National Association for Music Education (NAfME)
- Kappa Kappa Psi (Honorary band fraternity)
- Music Teachers National Association (MTNA)
- Wayne Student Education Association of Nebraska (WSEAN)
- Student Council for Exceptional Children (SCEC)
- Kappa Delta Pi
- Vocal performances: Concert Choir, Madrigal Singers, Jazz Ensemble
- Instrumental performances: WSC Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Jazz Ensemble, Orchestra, Chamber Music, Mariachi Ensemble
- Music Festivals: Band Day, Honor Band, Piano Day, Middle School Festival, Show Choir (Black and Gold), Honor Choir
- Northeast Nebraska Teachers Academy (NENTA) - Develop your classroom skills and get paid at the same time. As a NENTA participant, you’ll meet with mentor teachers on a weekly basis to ensure your growth and success as a teacher.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
As a vocal and instrumental music education major, you will complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you’ll work closely with an experienced music teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help you find employment opportunities.