In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid for your physical education endorsement.
Physical Education Endorsement (PK-6)
Physical Education Endorsement for Grades PK-6
If you’re ready to share your passion for physical education in an elementary school setting, you can become a P.E. teacher with a physical education degree. Choose the PK-6 physical education endorsement at Wayne State, and you’ll study anatomy, exercise physiology, and biomechanics – all important things to understand as a gym or physical education teacher. Get ready for your career in teaching health and P.E. with this route. Wayne State’s excellent reputation for teacher educations ensures your degree will carry weight in the marketplace.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S. (Subject Endorsement)
In addition to choosing the physical education (PK-6) subject endorsement, you will also need to select a field endorsement or a second subject endorsement in order to receive your B.A. or B.S.
For endorsement: 34
Professional education: 27-33
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours minimum (education programs may require more)
Popular pairings: Physical Education (7-12), Special Education (K-6)
Schools: Science, Health, and Criminal Justice, Education and Behavioral Sciences
Departments: Health, Human Performance, and Sport, Educational Foundations and Leadership
Accreditation: Council of Accreditation for Educator Preparation (CAEP), Nebraska Department of Education
Licensing and Certification: Wayne State academic programs are designed to prepare students for licensure or certification in Nebraska. If you plan to pursue licensure or certification in a state other than Nebraska, please check that state's licensing board to determine their licensing requirements. Authorization may be required from them prior to beginning a clinical or field experience in that state. Learn more.
Scholarships and Aid
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Folk and recreational dancing
- Elementary school health and physical education
- Motor learning and development
- Aerobic dance
- Exercise physiology
- Curriculum development for grades PK-6
- Teaching and instruction methods
- Adapting curriculum to special needs
- Public speaking and presentation
- Oral and written communication
- Leadership and organization
- Time management
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Elementary school physical education teacher
- Preschool physical education teacher
- Health educator
- Special education teacher
- Camp director
- Health studies teacher
- Park manager
- Fitness consultant
- Athletic director
- Fitness instructor
- Rec center manager
- Health club manager
- Elementary schools
- Colleges and universities
- Youth sports clubs
- Recreation centers
- Health clubs
- Fitness centers
- Sports leagues
- Youth camps
- Rehabilitation centers
- Resorts and spas
- Non-profit organizations
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education as a physical education major.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Northeast Nebraska Teacher Academy (NENTA) - Develop your classroom skills and get paid at the same time.
- Coaching – Test your leadership skills as you coach sports teams for local high school, junior high, and recreation leagues.
- Recognition – Each year, the department awards and recognizes one student from each of the HHPS majors for their achievements.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree to teach physical education, you will complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you’ll work closely with an teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help students find employment opportunities.