In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. The Department of Music offers financial aid to music majors through a number of scholarships. An audition is required to qualify for a music scholarship. You do not need to enroll at Wayne State College to audition.
General Music Degree Program
Make your musical talent soar by joining musicians of all backgrounds and combining your passions to create new collaborations. In the general studies music degree program at Wayne State College, you’ll study everything that relates to music, from instruments and voice, to history and composition. Learn from accomplished professors on campus to expand your musical abilities. You’ll also get to choose from a wide variety of performing groups on campus to enhance your musical education. By the time you graduate with your music degree, you’ll be ready to start your career in music or move on to even more opportunities through graduate work.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world in the music degree program.
- Music theory and ear training
- Music software: Finale, Sonar, Pyware 3D, and Audacity
- Choral or instrumental conducting
- Playing the piano with classroom application
- Music form and analysis
- Performance with large and small ensembles
- History and literature of music
- Music performance
- Adaptability / flexibility
- Time management
- Music minister
- Music director
- Music instructor
- Music venues
- Recording studios
- Performance groups
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Entertainment companies
- Production companies
- Music stores
- Talent agencies
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the music degree program.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your music degree by participating in clubs, organizations, art shows, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- National Association for Music Education (NAfME) - a collegiate chapter of the national organization, which provides opportunities for professional preparation and networking through conferences, guest speakers, and service/social functions
- Kappa Kappa Psi – an honorary band fraternity that provides service to the band program and the Department of Music
- Music Teachers National Association
Wayne State offers a variety of music performance opportunities throughout the year. Vocal performance groups include Concert Choir, Jazz Ensemble, Madrigal Singers, and Women's Choir. Instrumental groups include the Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Chamber Music, and Mariachi Ensemble.
You are not required to complete an internship for a music degree. Instead, you’ll be performing recitals and other various performances to get experience. However, Career Services is available to help you find internship or employment opportunities.