Make your musical talent soar by joining musicians of all backgrounds and combining your passions to create new collaborations. In the general music degree program at Wayne State College, you’ll study everything that relates to music, from instruments and voice, to history and composition. Learn from accomplished professors on campus to expand your musical abilities. You’ll also get to choose from a wide variety of performing groups on campus to enhance your musical education. By the time you graduate with your degree in music, you’ll be ready to start your career in music or move on to even more opportunities through graduate work.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Music theory and ear training
- Music software: Finale, Sonar, Pyware 3D, and Audacity
- Choral or instrumental conducting
- Playing the piano with classroom application
- Music form and analysis
- Performance with large and small ensembles
- History and literature of music
- Music performance
- Adaptability / flexibility
- Time management
- Music minister
- Music director
- Music instructor
- Music venues
- Recording studios
- Performance groups
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Entertainment companies
- Production companies
- Music stores
- Talent agencies
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. They appear regularly throughout the region as clinicians, performing artists, guest conductors, and competition judges. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, art shows, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- National Association for Music Education (NAfME) - a collegiate chapter of the national organization, which provides opportunities for professional preparation and networking through conferences, guest speakers, and service/social functions
- Kappa Kappa Psi – an honorary band fraternity that provides service to the band program and the Department of Music
- Music Teachers National Association
You are not required to complete an internship as part of this program. Instead, you’ll be performing recitals and other various performances to get experience. However, Career Services is available to help you find internship or employment opportunities.