Discover the exciting world of forensic science when you pair the disciplines of criminal justice and chemistry at Wayne State. Forensic science is the application of science to the law, using scientific methodology to collect and analyze evidence in an investigation. It requires an extensive background in the natural sciences, coupled with practical laboratory experience, all which students can gain at Wayne State College’s Criminal Justice Crime Scene Investigation Facility. Through our forensic science degree program, you’ll combine different aspects of science – natural, lab, and social – to prepare for a career related to crime scenes and investigation. With a degree in forensic science from Wayne State, you’ll be ready to dive into the world of scientific analysis.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For double major (criminal justice + chemical sciences): 92
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Natural and Social Sciences
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Criminal law and constitutional rights
- Role and function of police and law enforcement
- Correctional processes and probationary concepts
- Criminology and understanding criminal behavior
- Security and loss prevention
- Homeland security and the nature of terrorism
- Research methods in social science
- Chemical processes and materials
- Chemical experiment and design
- University physics and experimentation
- Research, observation, and analysis of data
- Forensic chemist
- Lab technician
- Crime scene investigator
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Research labs
- Crime scene labs
- State, local, and federal crime labs
- Commercial labs
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, art shows, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career in criminal justice. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Field trips – Take advantage of these unique learning opportunities beyond the classroom. You’ll get to visit correctional facilities and courts, see police departments, observe parole board hearings, and even interview prison inmates.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, be part of a support system for new students, and make new friends - all while gaining valuable experience that will better prepare you for the future.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
An internship is not required to graduate with a degree in forensic science; however, experience is always a plus. You’ll have a chance to work with local agencies to help gain some field experience and earn credit toward your degree. Career Services is also available to help you find the best internship and job opportunities.