In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and financial aid to pursue your language arts education degree.
English Language Arts Education Major
You love the beauty of language, and you have a desire to teach. Turn your two interests into a great career by becoming an English language arts teacher. You’ll get to pass on the importance of effective communication to the next generation. You’ll be eligible to teach subjects such as composition, literature, speech, theatre, communication, journalism, and reading in grades 7-12.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A. or B.S.
If you choose the English language arts education field endorsement, you are not required to choose any other endorsements to receive your B.A. or B.S.
For field endorsement: 54
Professional education: 31
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours minimum (education programs may require more)
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world in the English language arts education program.
- Advanced English grammar and writing
- Young adult literature
- Classroom strategies to teach the language arts
- Playwriting one-acts and full-length plays
- Acting and performance
- Literary analysis
- Newswriting and journalism
- Theatre production for high school
- Classroom management and leadership
- Presentation and public speaking
- Critical thinking and reasoning
- Professional standards and ethics
- Oral and written communication
- Time management
- English teacher
- Language arts teacher
- Journalism teacher
- Literature teacher
- Theater teacher
- Drama teacher
- In-house tutor
- Director or producer
- Journalist / news writer
- Middle schools
- High schools
- Colleges and universities
- Publishing companies
- Newspapers and magazines
- Businesses and organizations
- Theater companies
- Non-profit organizations
- Community programs
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the English language arts education degree program.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- Northeast Nebraska Teacher Academy (NENTA) - Develop your classroom skills and get paid at the same time.
- Competitions and conferences – Showcase your skills when you compete in poetry and fiction slams or the Hot Papers Contest, and meet the pros when you participate in writing programs and attend conferences.
- The Neihardt Seminar – a special summer course taught by a visiting writer/scholar
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
As an English language arts education major, you will complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you’ll work closely with an experienced language arts teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help students find employment opportunities.