In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid for your biology education degree.
Biology Education Degree - Teaching Grades 7-12
The living and breathing world is vast – people, plants, and animals, all over the planet. As a future biology teacher, you will be an important part of students’ lives as you guide them through the massive world of the study of biology. You’ll help them discover what things make up living beings and what they need to survive. Wayne State is an excellent setting to develop your understanding of biology while also learning how to become a biology teacher. With a biology education degree, you’ll be equipped to teach the next generation all about life.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S. (Subject Endorsement)
In addition to choosing the biology subject endorsement, you will also need to select a field endorsement or a second subject endorsement to receive your B.A. or B.S.
For endorsement: 42-43
For education core: 27-33
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours minimum (education programs may require more)
Popular pairings: Chemistry Education (7-12)
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Introductory zoology
- Evolutionary processes
- Biological systems and structures
- Experimental plant science
- Molecular genetics
- General chemistry and physics
- Research, data collection, and analysis
- Modern lab techniques
- Teaching and instruction methods
- Curriculum development for grades 7-12
- Classroom management and leadership
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Biology teacher
- Science teacher
- Zoology teacher
- STEM specialist
- Research scientist
- Lab technician
- Biomedical sales
- Nature conservation specialist
- Vet assistant
- Middle schools
- High schools
- Colleges and universities
- Educational and learning centers
- Distance-learning centers
- Non-profit organizations
- Community organizations
- Government / federal agencies
- Research labs
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Environmental agencies
- Conservation societies
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in biology education degree program.
Robert McCue, Ph.D.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career! Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Northeast Nebraska Teacher Academy (NENTA) - Develop your classroom skills and get paid at the same time.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and present your findings at conferences such as The Wildlife Society, American Society of Microbiology, The American Association for the Advancement of Science, and The North American Prairie Conference.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree to teach biology, you’ll complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you’ll work closely with an experienced biology teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help students find employment opportunities.