Podiatry is the medical study of feet and ankles. As a podiatrist, you’ll be guiding people in the health of their feet, caring for sprained and broken ankles, aiding athletes in foot movement, or evaluating a patient’s arch or toe problems. To enter professional school for podiatric medicine, you’ll first need an bachelor’s degree. At Wayne State, recommended programs include the biology or chemistry pre-podiatry degree tracks to receive a solid foundation in the life or physical sciences. You can get your four-year degree from WSC, and then you’ll be ready to take on coursework at a professional podiatric medical school and earn your podiatry degree.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: This program is set up so you can receive your B.S. in biology or chemistry from WSC. Then you’ll be ready for graduate work at a professional podiatry school.
Popular minors: Chemistry, Spanish
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Natural and Social Sciences
Department: Life Sciences
Grades: C or better needed to enter medical school
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Critical thinking
- Scientific reasoning
- Data collection/analysis
- Scientific/clinical research interpretation
- Applied mathematics
- Applied biology and chemistry lab skills
- Molecular biology
- Podiatry medical assistant
- Podiatric nurse
- Orthopedic physician
- Pediatric podiatrist
- Sports podiatrist
- Surgical technician
- Orthopedic reconstruction specialist
- Orthopedic surgeon
- Orthotics developer
- Podiatry educator
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Outpatient clinics
- Sports teams or clubs
- Surgical centers
- Private medical practices
- Orthotic companies
- Prosthesis companies
- Medical research facilities
- Non-profit organizations
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and even present your findings at regional conferences, help judge at the Nebraska Science Bowl and Junior Academy of Science Fairs, visit area science labs.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Internships are not required for the pre-professional podiatry program at Wayne State College, as these are typically completed in your final years of professional school for degree completion. However, Career Services is available to help you find job opportunities if you are looking for field-related work experience.