In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid for your math education degree.
About the Math Education Degree
Math is not only a fundamental study for students of all ages, but it is also important for mental development. Become a math teacher, and you will find a rewarding career as you guide students through education and connect math concepts to other subjects. Chemistry, biology, physics, computer classes, and even music are better understood with a solid math education. Get a math education degree from Wayne State, and you’ll be ready to take on an important role in a school or other educational setting.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S. (Field Endorsement)
If you choose the math field endorsement, you are not required to choose any additional endorsements to receive your B.A. or B.S.
For endorsement: 42
Professional education: 27-33
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours minimum (education programs may require more)
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Methods to solve problems in math and science
- Proficiency in solving complex math problems
- Probability and statistics
- Computer programming fundamentals
- Teaching and instruction methods
- Curriculum development for grades 6-12
- Classroom management and leadership
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Oral and written communication
- Leadership and organization
- Research and analysis
- Middle school math teacher
- High school math teacher
- College math teacher
- STEM specialist
- Math tutor
- Math content writer
- Middle schools
- High schools
- Colleges and universities
- Education and learning centers
- Non-profit organizations
- Community organizations
- Government / federal agencies
- Businesses and organizations
- Insurance companies
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 92% of full-time faculty in this department having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Mary Kuchta, Ed.D.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Northeast Nebraska Teacher Academy (NENTA) - Develop your classroom skills and get paid at the same time.
- Projects, trips, and more – Conduct honors projects, help facilitate money-making projects, and attend national and regional conferences to showcase your math skills.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree to teach math, you’ll complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you’ll work closely with an experienced teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help students find employment opportunities.