Do you have a passion for home-related functions such as family living, consumer economics, foods and nutrition, clothing and textiles, child development, and parenting? If yes, consider a degree in family and consumer sciences. Skill needed include leadership and working with other people, creativity, flexibility, patience, and good communication. If you possess these, you’ll be a good candidate for an FCS career. Get an endorsement in family and consumer sciences from Wayne State College, and you’ll be prepared for a variety of careers in FCS, which improve individual, family, and community wellbeing and impact the development, delivery, and evaluation of consumer goods and services.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Clothing construction and textiles
- Food preparation and baking
- Housing development and design
- Family and personal relationships
- Family resource management
- Consumer economics
- Parenting and family relationships
- Introductory fashion design
- Household technology and safety
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Leadership and organization
- Time management
- Child life specialist
- Parent educator
- Family life educator
- Family services worker
- Clothing specialist
- Apparel or costume designer
- Events coordinator
- Food service manager
- Hotel manager
- Nutritional consultant
- Retail buyer
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Daycares / preschools
- Government / federal agencies
- Community centers
- Non-profit organizations
- Human or social services
- Family service agencies
- Retail stores
- Apparel companies
- Restaurants or food shops
- Specialty shops and boutiques
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, art shows, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- Early Childhood Association
- Association of Family and Consumer Sciences Professionals (AFCSP)
- Vogue Fashion Association
- Wayne State Interior Design
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- District competitions – Compete in FCCLA STAR events to receive national recognition for your achievements in a variety of areas as they relate to the purpose of the Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America organization.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
We encourage all students to complete an internship before graduating with a degree in family and consumer sciences. Career Services is available to help you find internships and job opportunities in this field of study.