Careers in the exciting fields of law enforcement, anti-terrorism, criminal lab science, pre-law, customs, asset protection, and juvenile justice are more popular than ever. For these careers, a degree in criminal justice is the perfect route. Criminal justice, Wayne State’s fastest growing major, is designed to provide you with the necessary practical knowledge and skills for rewarding careers in this field. It’s also offered online for those who are already working in the field and wish to obtain a degree. Our major covers the basis for understanding the economic, political, and social environments in which the criminal justice process operates, which means you have the flexibility to apply your degree to a variety of careers.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For major: 36
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
Popular minors: Emergency Management, Spanish, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, Public Administration, Pre-Law
School: Natural and Social Sciences
Department: Criminal Justice
Law enforcement officers are entitled to a credit of 30% of tuition charges (LB906). Learn more
The criminal justice undergrad program is also available online.
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Criminal law and constitutional rights
- Role and function of police and law enforcement
- Correctional processes and probationary concepts
- Criminology theories and understanding criminal behavior
- Forensic crime scene investigation
- Security and loss prevention
- Introductory Spanish
- Homeland security and the nature of terrorism
- Research methods in social science
- Oral and written communication
- Time management and organization
- Police officer / sheriff
- Crime scene investigator
- Fraud investigator
- Anti-terrorism agent
- Correctional officer
- Probation/parole officer
- Border patrol agent
- Immigration specialist
- Case manager
- Lawyer / attorney
- Youth support worker
- Child protection agent
- Private and corporate security
- Emergency management
- Law enforcement agencies
- Federal agencies
- Anti-terrorism units
- Probation offices
- Correctional facilities
- Security companies
- Child protective services
- Immigration services
- Crime scene labs
- Law firms
- Social services
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you’ll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, events, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career in criminal justice. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Field trips – Take advantage of these unique learning opportunities beyond the classroom. You’ll get to visit correctional facilities and courts, see police departments, observe parole board hearings, and even interview prison inmates.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, be part of a support system for new students, and make new friends - all while gaining valuable experience that will better prepare you for the future.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
An internship is not required to graduate with a degree in criminal justice; however, experience is always a plus. You’ll have a chance to work with local agencies to help gain some field experience and earn credit toward your degree. Career Services is also available to help you find the best internship and job opportunities.
Rural Law Opportunities Program (RLOP)
RLOP is a dynamic partnership between Wayne State College and the University of Nebraska College of Law designed to recruit students from rural areas and train them to become lawyers that will return and practice in their communities. If selected for RLOP, you will be guaranteed acceptance into the Nebraska College of Law.