In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid for your applied math degree.
Whether you know it or not, advanced math is part of everyday activities. Applied mathematics is an interdisciplinary subject, covering a wide range of scientific activities. It is math dealing with problems arising in the physical life, social sciences, and engineering, and provides a broad background in both quantitative and qualitative knowledge for use in these fields. Mathematical modeling and analysis unify ideas and provide a richer, deeper understanding of their respective fields. Applied mathematics appeal to people of varying interests: Some seek to obtain a sound math background for use in a future career; others wish to learn mathematics and techniques of a specific field; and still others are just interested in applied math itself. The applied mathematics degree program at Wayne State College focuses on not just equations but on how to apply these equations to solve challenges in other fields of study. With an applied math degree, you’ll be ready for careers in a variety of fields – business, physics, chemistry, computer science, economics, engineering, or social sciences.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Methods to solve problems in math and science
- Proficiency in solving complex math problems
- Probability and statistics
- Mathematical modeling
- Computer programming languages
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Time management and organization
- Computer scientist
- Computer programmer
- Financial consultant
- Mathematical biologist
- Research analyst
- Research scientist
- Businesses and organizations
- Software companies
- Biotech companies
- Banks and financial institutions
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Government / federal agencies
- Medical research facilities
- Science labs
- Insurance companies
- Financial firms
- Investment companies
- Hospitals and medical clinics
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 92% of full-time faculty in this department having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Mary Kuchta, Ed.D.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Projects, trips, and more – Conduct honors projects, help facilitate money-making projects, and attend national and regional conferences to showcase your math skills.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree in applied math, we encourage you to first complete an internship in order to gain field experience. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities in your field of study.