In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships for students in the studio art degree program.
About the Studio Art Degree Program
A broad training in creativity, the studio art program lays the groundwork for graduate work, visual artistry, or work in other art-related fields. In the studio art degree program at Wayne State College, you’ll experience a wide range of studio experiences in order to grow as an artist. You’ll build your skills in painting, printmaking, sculpture, and ceramics, developing problem-solving abilities along the way. You’ll also learn about historical art events to discover the backgrounds of various art disciplines – and be inspired by the artists of those periods.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world in the studio art degree program.
- Advanced drawing techniques
- Pottery and ceramics by hand and throwing wheel
- Sculpting with clay, wood, metal, and stone
- Painting with acrylic, oil, watercolor and mixed media
- Printmaking and etching
- History of art throughout various civilizations and cultures
- Digital imaging and technology in graphic design
- Creative communication and expression
- Project and time management
- Observational skills
- Presentation and public speaking
Studio Arts Careers
- Studio artist
- Art director
- Graphic designer
- Illustrator or cartoonist
- Stage / set designer
- Art therapist
- Art museum curator
- Gallery owner or associate
- Interior decorator
- Art critic
- Freelance artist
- Art galleries and museums
- Colleges, universities, and schools
- Art supply stores
- Printing companies
- Theaters and production companies
- Camps and community programs
- Magazines and newspapers
- Publishing companies
- Photography studios
- Interior design firms
- Auction houses
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the studio art degree program.
Meghan O'Connor, MFA
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education in the studio art degree program by participating in clubs, organizations, art shows, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Shows and Exhibits
- Senior art exhibit – As a senior, you’ll get the chance to share your artwork on campus at the Nordstrand Art Gallery.
- Juried student exhibit – This art show takes place at the end of each spring semester, where your work is reviewed, judged, and prizes awarded.
- Visiting Artist Program – Regionally or nationally recognized artists display their work in the Nordstrand Visual Arts Gallery in media that build upon art and design courses.
- Art sales – At the end of the semester, you will have the opportunity to sell your own artwork. You’ll be involved in organizing, advertising, scheduling, and handling all art sales.
- Trips, workshops, and more – Visit galleries, museums, and graphic design firms. Participate in visiting artist workshops and critiques, help with Art Day festivities, and help promote art to youth through the high school outreach program.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
You are not required to complete an internship for the studio art degree program, but there are many opportunities through coursework to connect with professional studio experience. Career Services can help you find the best internship opportunities.