The popularity of sports is in full force in today’s culture. But sports is more than just the game. The world of sports and athletics is made up of not just the teams, but also the event facilities, support staff and trainers, fans, marketing, sports information, ticketing and operations, and media relations. All of these things contribute to success in sports – and need managers to guide such success. Sports are for every level too, from high school to college to professional. With a degree in sport management from Wayne State, you’ll be prepared to take on any career related to athletics and sporting events. You’ll get to understand the ins and outs of athletics, how to build a fan base, and how to manage an event facility. You’ll understand the needs of athletes and teams and how best to meet those needs. If you have a passion for anything sports-related, the sport management program at Wayne State is the right choice for you.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For major: 59
General education: 41
To graduate from WSC: 120
Popular minors: Marketing, Broadcasting, Business Administration, Journalism, Electronic Media, Online Media
School: Natural and Social Sciences
Department: Health, Human Performance, and Sport
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Sports and event management
- Sports marketing and promotion
- Law and ethics in sport management
- Facility management
- Media and public relations
- Introductory accounting
- Leadership and organization
- Social skills
- Oral and written communication
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Athletic director
- Athletic counselor
- Sports broadcaster
- Sports information director
- Box office manager
- Event coordinator
- Sports facility / stadium director
- Sports marketing manager
- Tournament coordinator
- Wellness center director
- Equipment manager
- Professional sports teams and leagues
- Youth sports teams and leagues
- Colleges and universities
- Community wellness centers
- Radio or television networks
- Sporting goods stores
- Sports facilities and venues
- Equipment manufacturing companies
- Event and promotion companies
- Sport governing bodies
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- Students Pursuing Opportunities Related to Sport (S.P.O.R.T.S. Club)
- Pre-Physical Therapy / Pre-Occupational Therapy Club
- Rugby Club
- Wrestling Club
- Bicycle Club
- Soccer Club (men)
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Volunteer at the Summit League Conference Basketball Tournament, the NAIA Women’s Basketball Tournament, and work as a member of the event staff for any of Wayne State’s athletic events. Additional community service opportunities exist through Wayne State’s Service-Learning program, which has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service.
- Competitions and tours – Travel to Boston, Indianapolis, and other major cities to present your work in case study competitions sponsored by the Sport Marketing Association. Other opportunities include tours of local and regional sport club facilities.
- American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Convention – Watch and learn coaching and leadership skills from the pros. Wayne State College is the only college in the nation that provides student staff workers to the largest gathering of volleyball coaches in the country.
- Recognition – Each year, the department awards and recognizes one student from each of the HHPS majors for their achievements.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree in sport management, you will complete an internship in order to gain practical work experience in this field. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities.