In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid for your degree in social sciences.
About the Social Sciences Degree
Put the concepts of psychology and sociology into practice with a social sciences degree. Social sciences offers courses and programs of study designed to help you understand the history and nature of human beings in a social context. This is an interdisciplinary program, which means you’ll study a variety of subjects. You’ll get to choose classes from criminal justice, economics, geography, history, political science, psychology, sociology and anthropology and others. With a social sciences degree from Wayne State, you’ll be ready to take on a variety of careers that are based on human interaction, from counseling and geography to business and economics.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Criminal justice
- Political science
- Law enforcement
- Financial analyst
- Policy analyst / advocate
- Social worker
- Law enforcement agencies
- Banking and financial institutions
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Behavioral health clinics
- Social service agencies
- Government / federal agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Public service offices
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 100% of the full-time faculty in this department holding the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research projects – Conduct your own research projects and present your work at area symposiums and psychology conferences.
- Contribute to a cause – Help promote historical awareness, civic engagement, diversity, and opportunity through events like Constitution Day, the Voter Registration Drive, and Multicultural Affairs.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, be part of a support system for new students, and make new friends - all while gaining
valuable experience that will better prepare you for the future.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
We encourage all students to complete an internship before graduating. Before graduating with your degree in social sciences, you’ll have a chance to work with local criminal justice, government, and social service agencies to gain field experience and earn credit toward your degree. Career Services is also available to help you find the best internship opportunities.