In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid as you pursue the respiratory therapy degree pathway.
Life Sciences/Respiratory Therapy Degree
Saving lives – that’s essentially what you’ll be doing as a respiratory therapist. As a health professional specializing in respiratory therapy, you’ll be the one people go to if they have a breathing problem, such as asthma or lung disease. You’ll also be the one to provide emergency care to patients suffering from heart attacks, strokes, drowning, or shock. Your career will take you many places in the medical field, including hospitals, clinics, or EMS services. In the respiratory therapy degree program, you’ll spend your first three years at Wayne State, then spend a clinical year at an approved respiratory therapist program. Once completed you’ll have a life sciences/respiratory therapy degree from WSC, and you’ll be ready to take on the challenge of rescuing patients who are having problems with breathing.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: This program is set up so you will receive your B.A. or B.S. from WSC. You’ll spend three years at WSC (90 total hours), then a final year at a school with a professional respiratory therapy program.
General studies: 30
Respiratory therapy concentration: 53-54
Professional clinical year: 35
120 hours are required to graduate from WSC. You may add a minor or choose electives to help meet these requirements.
Department: Life Sciences
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Microbiology and immunology
- General and organic chemistry
- Knowledge of modern lab techniques
- Research, data collection, and analysis
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Time management
- Respiratory therapist
- Respiratory therapy technician
- Pulmonary function technologist
- Neonatal-pediatric specialist
- Medical services manager
- Lab manager
- Respiratory equipment technician
- Sales and marketing specialist
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Respiratory care centers
- Rehabilitation centers
- Nursing homes
- Home health care services
- Patient transport centers
- Diagnostic labs
- Wellness centers
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in respiratory therapy degree program.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career! Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and present your findings at conferences such as The Wildlife Society, American Society of Microbiology, The American Association for the Advancement of Science, and The North American Prairie Conference.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before receiving your degree in respiratory therapy, you’ll first need to complete a clinical year at an approved program in order to earn your life sciences degree from Wayne State. Your academic advisor will help you choose a program for transfer. Additionally, you can job shadow at an area hospital to gain a greater understanding of this field. Career Services is also available to help you find the best opportunities.