In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and financial aid for the organizational leadership and public relations degree program.
About the program
Leadership and coordination of an institution starts with good communication. Everyone working for a business is on the same team, and the way to be successful is to communicate effectively. Public relations specialists and others who work in the public eye understand the big picture of a company as a whole, where it’s going, and how its purpose can be communicated positively to the public. In the organizational leadership and public relations degree program at Wayne State, you’ll study communication and business courses, becoming knowledgeable in both fields and preparing you for a career in public relations or other related field.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For concentration: 36
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Arts and Humanities
Department: Communication Arts
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Interpersonal and public communication
- Speech delivery and public speaking
- Effective public relations for business, education, and politics
- Strategies in generating social awareness
- Critical thinking and reasoning
- Persuasion, argumentation, and advocacy
- Organizational communication
- Leadership styles and attitudes
- Conflict management
- Professional standards and ethics
- Professional speaker
- Public relations specialist
- Social media manager
- Digital strategy specialist
- Communications manager
- Event planner
- Actor, announcer, or on-air personality
- Marketing specialist
- Writer or journalist
- Business representative
- Large businesses and corporations
- Television / broadcast companies
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Online media outlets
- Public relations firms
- Political campaigns
- Marketing or advertising agencies
- Government offices
- Community programs
- Non-profit organizations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 87% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education in the organizational leadership and public relations degree program by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Workshops - Communication and theater arts workshops will give you abundant firsthand experience for you to hone your skills in preparation for a career in this field of study.
- Trips, conferences, and more – Attend communication conferences and presentations, and participate in leadership opportunities.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Although internships are not required as part of the organizational leadership and public relations degree program, they are highly recommended. Internships through community organizations are a great way to prepare you for careers in corporate, community, and public relations, organizational leadership, organizational consulting, health care, law, ministry, politics, theater production, and public service. Your academic advisor and the Career Services department can help you find the best internship opportunities.