In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid as you pursue a geography degree.
About the Geography Degree
Geography is the relationship between human beings and their environment. Geographers study the where and why of places, and this involves much more than just memorizing state capitals. Maps play a big part in showing geographic information. In the geography degree program at Wayne State, you’ll research things like physical landscapes, cultural similarities and differences, and population patterns. You’ll learn how to use computer-mapping software, called a geographic information system (GIS), to show and help you understand your findings. With a geography degree, you’ll be ready to take on a variety of careers with your understanding of the world and how people relate to the environment.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A. or B.S. in geography
For major: 36
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
Popular minors: Earth Science, History, Geospatial Technology, Political Science, Spanish, Criminal Justice, Environmental Studies, Economics, International Studies, Computer Information Systems, Travel and Tourism
School: Arts and Humanities
Department: History, Politics, and Geography
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world in the geography degree program.
- World regional geography
- Human and physical geography
- Political and economic geography
- Geography of recreation, tourism, and sport
- Geographic information systems
- Computer mapping
- Map reading and spatial analysis
- Geospatial reasoning
- Environmental awareness
- Cultural and global awareness
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Research and analysis
- Geographical information systems (GIS) specialist
- Community planner
- Criminal intelligence analyst
- Environmental planner
- Urban planning specialist
- U.S. Census Bureau
- Travel agent
- Foreign service officer
- Geographical marketer
- Transportation planner
- Park ranger
- GIS specialist/technician
- Transportation companies
- Commercial real estate agencies
- Surveying companies
- Foreign service agencies
- Environmental agencies
- Government / federal agencies
- International trade agencies
- Research and consulting companies
- Forestry and mining companies
- Urban planning companies
- Museums and exhibitions
- Travel agencies
- City or county districts
- Schools, colleges, and universities
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 100% of full-time faculty in this department holding the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the geography degree program.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research projects and more – Conduct your own research projects and present your work at area geography conferences. Additionally, you will have opportunities to attend lectures by guest speakers and embark on travel adventures to places of geographical interest.
- Events and competitions – Show off your geography knowledge at WSC’s annual Geography Bowl, assist with the National Geographic State Bee in Nebraska, and participate in Social Sciences Day each semester.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, be part of a support system for new students, and make new friends – all while gaining valuable experience that will better prepare you for the future.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your geography degree, you’ll have a chance to work with local agencies or municipalities, state parks, or private companies to help gain some field experience and earn credit toward your degree. Career Services is also available to help you find the best internship opportunities.