In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and financial aid to pursue your English writing and literature degree.
About the English Writing and Literature Major
You love to read, and you love to write. With the English writing and literature degree program, you get the best of both worlds – studying English literature and using literature as the inspiration for your own writing. You’ll study classic literature to develop your fluency and intellect and learn how to write with clarity and precision. You’ll get to analyze everything from the Old and New Testaments to Homer, Virgil, and Shakespeare, as well as modern and post-modern European, British, and American poetry, drama, and fiction. The English writing and literature degree program can deepen your knowledge and prepare you for careers deeply rooted in language and rhetoric – careers such as law, public relations, speechwriting, publishing, reporting, theatre, and teaching.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A. or B.S. in English Writing and Literature
For degree: 51
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Arts and Humanities
Department: Language and Literature
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world in the English writing and literature degree program.
- Creative writing
- Refined / advanced writing
- Writing poetry and fiction
- Writing creative nonfiction
- World literature across various cultures
- Shakespearean plays and poetry
- Linguistic theory and applications
- Literary analysis
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Research and analysis
- Cultural awareness
- Time management
- Policy or grant writer
- Legal or technical writer
- Freelance writer
- Publishing companies
- Newspapers and magazines
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Businesses and organizations
- Government agencies
- Marketing firms
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Non-profit organizations
- Public offices
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the English writing and literature degree program.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, contributing to publications, and more.
- Competitions and conferences – Showcase and develop your skills when you compete in poetry and fiction slams or attend the English Festival, and meet the pros when you participate in writing programs and attend conferences.
- The Neihardt Seminar – a special summer course taught by a visiting writer/scholar
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
You are not required to complete an internship for a degree in English writing and literature, but opportunities are available if you wish to do so. WSC can provide you with a variety of publication outlets, writing opportunities, and other events to build your portfolio and gain practical experience in this field of study. Career Services is also available to help you find internship opportunities.