In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and financial aid for your English degree.
About the English Writing Major
Writing is an art. If you wish to pursue a career in the field of communication, the English writing degree provides a wonderful platform for you to develop your language skills. You’ll learn to use language as a form of artistic expression and effective communication by practicing writing through different styles – short stories, poems, essays, informational and how-to writing, linguistics, and even journalism. English literature will also broaden your horizon in the language field, ranging from classic to contemporary. With an English writing degree from Wayne State, you can look forward to a career in any field that relies on good communication – law, media, publishing, public relations, and teaching, just to name a few.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S. in English/Writing
English major: 30-36
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Arts and Humanities
Department: Language and Literature
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world as an English writing major.
- Creative writing
- Refined / advanced writing
- Writing poetry, fiction, and creative non-fiction
- Linguistic theory and applications
- Literary analysis
- Editing and proofreading
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Research and analysis
- Cultural awareness
- Time management
- Policy or grant writer
- Legal or technical writer
- Freelance writer
- Publishing companies
- Newspapers and magazines
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Businesses and organizations
- Government agencies
- Marketing firms
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Non-profit organizations
- Public offices
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the English writing degree program.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education in the English writing degree program by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, contributing to publications, and more.
- Competitions and conferences – Showcase and develop your skills when you compete in poetry and fiction slams or attend the English Festival, and meet the pros when you participate in writing programs and attend conferences.
- The Neihardt Seminar – a special summer course taught by a visiting writer/scholar
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
You are not required to complete an internship for a degree in English writing, but opportunities are available if you wish to do so. WSC can provide you with a variety of publication outlets, writing opportunities, and other events to build your portfolio and gain practical experience in this field of study. Career Services is also available to help you find internship opportunities.