The pure mathematics degree program at Wayne State College is a great choice if you plan to teach math, pursue advanced or graduate work in the math field, plan to apply it to a specific technical field, or simply enjoy math and would like to profit from it. WSC places emphasis on the structural aspects of math with manipulation and theory as the two basic components for achievement. A math degree will help prepare you for careers in a variety of fields – business, physics, chemistry, computer science, economics, engineering, or social sciences.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Methods to solve problems in math and science
- Proficiency in solving complex math problems
- Probability and statistics
- Computer programming languages
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Time management and organization
- Computer scientist
- Computer programmer
- Financial consultant
- Research analyst
- Businesses and organizations
- Software companies
- Banks and financial institutions
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Government / federal agencies
- Insurance companies
- Financial firms
- Investment companies
- Hospitals and medical clinics
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Mary Kuchta, MSE
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- Kappa Mu Epsilon (Math Honorary)
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Projects, trips, and more – Conduct honors projects, help facilitate money-making projects, and attend national and regional conferences to showcase your math skills.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree in math, we encourage you to first complete an internship in order to gain field experience. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities in your field of study.