From public policies and laws to the broader concept of how societies are governed, politics influence many things. They play a big part in everyday activity. The political science degree program at Wayne State concentrates on five major areas related to politics: the operation of the government, political behavior, political theory, public policy, and international relations. A political science degree can prepare you well for additional study in law, economics, geography, and social sciences. Or, because of your solid understanding of politics’ influence on the people, a political science degree can prepare you for a successful career in business, leadership, or public administration.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Critical thinking
- Knowledge of law, politics, policy, and governmental structures
- Public budgeting and finance
- Policy analysis
- Constitutional law
- Policy analyst / advocate
- Political correspondent
- Lawyer or paralegal
- Senate secretary
- Political science teacher
- Economic development coordinator
- Non-profit management
- City administration
- Political advisor
- Campaign manager
- Law firms
- State government offices
- Federal government offices
- Non-profit organizations
- Congressional offices
- Social services
- Court systems
- Urban planning agencies
- Foreign service agencies
- Television and news channels
- Newspapers and magazines
- Schools, colleges, and universities
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career! Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Contribute to a cause – Help promote historical awareness, civic engagement, diversity, and opportunity through Multicultural Affairs and events like Constitution Day and the Voter Registration Drive.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, be part of a support system for new students, and make new friends - all while gaining valuable experience that will better prepare you for the future.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree in political science, you’ll work with local criminal justice, government, and social service agencies to help gain field experience and earn credit toward your degree. Career Services is also available to help you find the best internship opportunities.