The building is standing, the rooms are divided, but who gets to designate the space and plan the furnishings? That is the job of an interior designer. From the most extravagant rooms to the simplest offices, every interior needs attention to the lighting, floor coverings, wall treatments, and furniture. At Wayne State, you’ll develop your artistic, interpersonal, and management skills. You’ll learn about furniture, lighting, space planning, and color analysis. With a degree in interior design, you’ll be ready to work in different settings, such as hotels, offices, schools, and residential areas.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Designing for interior environments
- Soft furnishing design
- Architectural design
- Architectural and industrial finishing
- Residential drawing with CAD software
- Decorations and furniture
- Art history and multicultural arts
- Introductory accounting and finance
- Principles of marketing
- Business management and leadership
- Food preparation and baking
- Family and personal relationships
- Meal management
- Clothing construction and textiles
- Household technology and safety
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Interior decorator
- Interior designer
- Residential designer
- Commercial designer
- Assistant designer
- Kitchen and bath designer
- Space planner
- Facilities designer
- Home stager
- Decorating consultant
- Project designer
- Interior design firms
- Construction companies
- Architecture firms
- Engineering firms
- Furniture manufacturers
- Furniture stores
- Textile manufacturers
- Retail stores
- Home décor and furnishing stores
- Real estate agencies
- Department stores
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- American Society of Interior Designers (ASID)
- Association of Family and Consumer Science Professionals
- Vogue Fashion Association
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Competitions – Earn national recognition and prizes for your skills and accomplishments when you compete in FCCLA STAR Events.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
We encourage all students to complete an internship before graduating with a degree in interior design. Career Services is available to help you find internships and job opportunities in this field of study.