The Exercise Science major at Wayne State College offers exposure to basic and applied knowledge, along with the skills needed for employment or advanced study in the fields of exercise, fitness, or allied health settings.
About the Exercise Science Degree
Today’s health and fitness culture, contexts, and demands are rapidly evolving. Exercise for health, disease prevention, and rehabilitation is essential for developing healthy children, adults, and communities. Exercise for health and elite athletic performance is a dynamic field merging practice with research-based knowledge, skills, and abilities. An Exercise Science degree is an excellent route to careers addressing health, physical fitness, and performance. Getting your Exercise Science degree from Wayne State will position you to be a leader in your chosen field with the abilities to adapt and develop in the changing health, fitness, and exercise environment. An Exercise Science degree can combine your passion for exercise with professional applications in fitness, conditioning, health, and research fields, as well as graduate programs in health sciences, such as physical and occupational therapy, medicine, and public health.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A. or B.S. in Exercise Science
For major: 55
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
Department: Health, Human Performance, and Sport
The Exercise Science program is recognized by the National Strength and Conditioning Association in the Education Recognition Program (ERP) for the field of strength and conditioning.
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Knowledge of body structure and function
- Health status and risk factor identification
- Fitness appraisal and injury evaluation
- Cardiac rehabilitation and exercise prescription
- Exercise physiology
- First Aid and CPR
- Research and analysis
- Kinesiology / biomechanics
- Strength and conditioning
- Sport facility management
- Computer literacy and technology
- Body testing and measurement
- Research and data analysis
- Leadership and organization
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Strength coach
- Personal trainer
- Athletic trainer
- Wellness center director
- Physical therapist
- Exercise physiologist
- Fitness instructor
- Health education specialist
- Sports facility manager
- Sports coach
- Physical therapist
- Exercise physiologist
- Gyms and fitness centers
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Sports teams and clubs
- Businesses and corporations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Community wellness centers
- Assisted living facilities
- Government agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Rehabilitation clinics
- Sports lab and research facilities
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the Exercise Science degree program.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester. Examples of community and Service-Learning events include:
- World Heart Day – Provide free blood pressure screening, share heart health information and heart-healthy snacks, and facilitate recreation opportunities for local families and children.
- Community/campus bicycle events – Promote and participate in various events including maintenance workshops, “Bike to School” days with community schools, and the “Wild Ride Color Ride” event.
- Body tests - Help local high school wrestlers meet NSAA program guidelines by measuring their body composition and hydration levels.
- Wellness program - Gain experience as a wellness advisor and fitness instructor to other WSC students, faculty, staff, and members of the community.
- Exercise is medicine – Partner with campus and community teams to promote exercise as a prescription for health.
- Conduct your own research and even present your findings at the NASCM conference.
- Recognition – Each year, the department awards and recognizes one student from each of the HHPS majors for their achievements.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your Exercise Science degree, you’ll have a chance to earn credit through on-campus services like the wellness program or human performance lab, or anywhere you’d like to do an internship. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities.