Today’s culture focuses on the importance of health and fitness. From traditional sports to at-home strength and aerobic workouts, people are taking their physical well-being seriously. An exercise science degree is an excellent route to careers addressing health, physical fitness, and performance. You’ll develop an in-depth knowledge for how the human body moves and responds to exercise and training. In the exercise science degree program at Wayne State, you’ll participate in lab experiences and work with others to help them achieve fitness for health and performance. With a bachelor’s degree in exercise science, you’ll gain experience and knowledge that will prepare you for graduate programs, including physical and occupational therapy, medicine, and other health degrees.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For major: 52-54
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Natural and Social Sciences
Department: Health, Human Performance, and Sport
The exercise science program is recognized by the National Strength and Conditioning Association in the Education Recognition Program (ERP) for the field of strength and conditioning.
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Knowledge of body structure and function
- Health status and risk factor identification
- Fitness appraisal and injury evaluation
- Cardiac rehabilitation and exercise prescription
- Exercise physiology
- First Aid and CPR
- Research and analysis
- Kinesiology / biomechanics
- Strength and conditioning
- Sport facility management
- Computer literacy and technology
- Body testing and measurement
- Research and data analysis
- Leadership and organization
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Strength coach
- Personal trainer
- Athletic trainer
- Wellness center director
- Physical therapist
- Exercise physiologist
- Fitness instructor
- Health education specialist
- Sports facility manager
- Sports coach
- Physical therapist
- Exercise physiologist
- Gyms and fitness centers
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Sports teams and clubs
- Businesses and corporations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Community wellness centers
- Assisted living facilities
- Government agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Rehabilitation clinics
- Sports lab and research facilities
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- Students Pursuing Opportunities Related to Sport (SPORTS Club)
- Pre-Physical Therapy / Pre-Occupational Therapy Club
- Rugby Club
- Wrestling Club
- Bicycle Club
- Soccer Club (men)
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester. Examples of community and Service-Learning events include:
- World Heart Day – Provide free blood pressure screening, share heart health information and heart-healthy snacks, and facilitate recreation opportunities for local families and children.
- Community/campus bicycle events – Promote and participate in various events including maintenance workshops, “Bike to School” days with community schools, and the “Wild Ride Color Ride” event.
- Body tests - Help local high school wrestlers meet NSAA program guidelines by measuring their body composition and hydration levels.
- Wellness program - Gain experience as a wellness advisor and fitness instructor to other WSC students, faculty, staff, and members of the community.
- Exercise is medicine – Partner with campus and community teams to promote exercise as a prescription for health.
- Conduct your own research and even present your findings at the NASCM conference.
- Recognition – Each year, the department awards and recognizes one student from each of the HHPS majors for their achievements.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree in exercise science, you’ll have a chance to earn credit through on-campus services like the wellness program or human performance lab, or anywhere you’d like to do an internship. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities.