In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships for the economics degree program at Wayne State College.
Economics Degree Program
At its most basic level, economics is the science of resource use. Everyone needs food, shelter, and clothing. After this, people want cellphones, books, clean water and air, health care, a fancy car, and the latest in golf clubs. The list of what people want is extensive. In microeconomics, we consider what motivates people to buy what they buy, and what motivates them to work. Additionally, the business practice of transforming resources into output and measuring what this costs is considered. Microeconomics also answers questions about monopolies in production, air and water pollution, and the price fluctuations of gasoline. In macroeconomics, the concern is about the larger economy with a primary focus on nationwide economic growth, full employment, and price stability. In the economics degree program at Wayne State, you’ll study public policy questions, the impact of tariffs and quotas, monetary and fiscal policy, antitrust and labor laws, and many other policies. With the economics degree program, you’ll be ready for a career in business, industry, government, or even law.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A. or B.S. in Business Administration/Economics
For concentration: 48
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Business and Technology
Department: Business and Economics
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world in the economics degree program.
- Concepts and principles of economics
- Global and domestic economic theory
- Policies and impact on trade, labor, banking, etc.
- Financial function within a business
- Business management and leadership
- Legal and ethical standards of business
- Principles of business marketing
- Presentation and public speaking
- Oral and written communication
- Computer literacy and competency
- Organization and time management
- Financial advisor
- Market analyst
- Banker / loan officer
- Economic development planner
- Real estate agent
- Insurance agent
- Businesses and organizations
- Banks and financial institutions
- Government / federal agencies
- Investment companies
- Insurance companies
- Accounting firms
- Insurance companies
- Real estate companies
- Manufacturing companies
- Schools, colleges, and universities
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 92% of the full-time faculty in this department holding the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the economics degree program.
Vaughn Benson, Ph.D.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education in the economics degree program by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
We encourage all students to complete an internship before completing the economics degree program. You are not required to complete an internship; however, Career Services is available to help you find internship and employment opportunities if you wish to do so.