Computers are a part of almost every facet of everyday life. They’re used to make life easier – programming automation or helping run a business. If you’re ready to be immersed in the world of computers, you should consider a computer science degree from Wayne State. In computer science, you’ll learn to understand the “why” and the “how” of computer programs and hardware. You’ll learn fundamental programming languages and mathematical concepts required to build software and operating systems. You’ll also gain practical skills in the areas of introductory networking and server security and management. With a computer science degree, you’ll be able to make sense of computer code and know how computer parts work together. This will prepare you for careers in systems and software development, web development, or even research and development of the newest computer technology and equipment.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Computer hardware and architecture
- Scientific principals and scientific method
- Mathematic essentials for the field
- Software analysis and design
- Parallel programming
- Object-oriented programming
- Server security and management
- Database design and development using SQL
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Computer troubleshooting
- Networking concepts and technologies
- Software developer
- Application developer
- Computer systems engineer
- Computer programmer
- Web developer
- Systems analyst
- IT administrator
- IT project manager
- Database administrator
- Computer repair technician
- Computer forensics specialist
- Chief technology officer
- Software companies
- Computer companies
- Information technology firms
- Manufacturing companies
- Banking and financial institutions
- Data warehouse companies
- Government / federal agencies
- Businesses and corporations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Technical support centers
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Competitions, trips, and more – Show your skills and compete for awards at robotics and programming competitions, attend guest speaker events, and tour professional IT facilities to learn more about your field and meet pros in the industry.
- Community events – Conduct workshops to help teach computing topics to local senior citizen groups, help promote the technology recycling program, serve as a judge for the Web Wizardry Competition, and even present at local schools for technology career days.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overse
As part of your studies, you’ll complete a project for a “real-world” business to earn credit toward your degree in computer science. We also frequently employ students in our Network and Technology Services Department to give you additional field experience. Career Services is available to help you find internship and employment opportunities as well.