Agriculture drives Nebraska’s economy, providing 1 in 3 jobs across the state. The agricultural communication and leadership concentration taps a growing profession that brings together agricultural, food, and life sciences with a practical understanding of all forms or marketing and public relations communication. You’ll learn the complexity of communicating the science of agriculture in our media-rich world through writing, photography, video, and radio production. You’ll learn how to promote a business and the issues within the industry while gaining an understanding of advertising, promotion, and social media marketing skills that can be applied in an agricultural context, giving you a leg up in this high-demand industry.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For concentration: 36-48
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Arts and Humanities
Department: Communication Arts
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Agricultural communication
- Mass communication through various media
- Advertising copywriting
- Newswriting and journalism
- Social media marketing
- Persuasion, argumentation, and advocacy
- Organizational leadership
- Video and radio production
- Public speaking and speech delivery
- Communications director
- Public relations coordinator
- Advertising / sales agent
- Agriculture marketing specialist
- News writer or editor
- Social media specialist
- Media relations manager
- Technical writer
- Content manager
- Extension educator
- Food and farming companies
- Agriculture organizations
- Environmental agencies
- Government agencies
- Conservation agencies
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Marketing / advertising agencies
- Newspapers and publishing companies
- Economic development organizations
- Research firms
- Non-profit organizations
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, art shows, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Workshops - Communication and media arts workshops will give you abundant firsthand experience for you to hone your skills in preparation for a career in this field of study.
- Trips and conferences - Attend communication conferences and presentations, and participate in leadership opportunities.
- Peer mentoring, tutoring, and collaborative learning
- Special event planning
Internships through community organizations are a great way to prepare you for careers in corporate, community, and public relations, organizational leadership, organizational consulting, health care, law, ministry, politics, theater production, and public service. Your academic advisor and the Career Services department can help you find the best internship opportunities.