Pharmacists work in the field of medicine and drugs in order to treat illness. To become a pharmacist, you’ll first need an undergraduate degree before entering professional school to earn your pharmacy degree. At Wayne State, you can get a degree in chemical sciences or chemistry health sciences, and you’ll be well-prepared for graduate school. Then with your pharmacy degree, you will be ready to practice pharmacy in a wide range of settings: community pharmacies, hospitals, long-term care facilities, or the pharmaceutical industry.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: This program is set up so you can receive your B.A. or B.S. in chemistry from WSC. After completing your undergraduate degree, you’ll be ready to move on to graduate work at a professional pharmacy school.
General education: 41
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Natural and Social Sciences
Department: Physical Sciences and Mathematics
Research: Individualized research experience designed for your interest
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Chemical processes and materials
- Chemical experiment and design
- Modern equipment usage
- Analytical, organic, and inorganic chemistry
- Molecular genetics
- Human anatomy
- Probability and statistics
- University physics and experimentation
- Advanced lab techniques and management
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Research, observation, and analysis of data
- Medical lab technician
- Medical research scientist
- Biochemical researcher
- Forensic scientist
- Chemical engineer
- Doctor / physician
- Drug stores
- Medical research labs
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Veterinary clinics
- Government / federal agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Public health centers
- Forensic labs
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Science and medicine publications
Rural Health Opportunities Program (RHOP)
Pre-pharmacy is eligible for RHOP. The only program of its kind in the state of Nebraska, RHOP educates students from rural Nebraska who will return to practice in rural areas of the state. If selected for RHOP, you’ll receive free tuition at Wayne State College and guaranteed admission into the relevant UNMC program.
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and even present your findings at regional conferences, help judge at the Nebraska Science Bowl and Junior Academy of Science Fairs, visit area science labs.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Internships are not required for the pre-professional pharmacy program at Wayne State College, as these are typically completed in professional school for degree completion. However, Career Services is available to help you find job opportunities if you are looking for field-related work experience.