Occupational therapists do rehabilitation work to help patients with injuries or disabilities. The OT focuses on improving the patient’s ability to do day-to-day activities, often working in a clinical setting but increasingly in a patient’s home. Upon completion of a bachelor’s degree, you may choose to pursue either a master’s or doctoral degree in occupational therapy. Both degrees educate you to be an effective clinician; however, the doctoral degree prepares you to conduct research in occupational therapy, helping patients through discovery of new techniques and treatment. Many students go to either Creighton University or the University of South Dakota, but there are many other schools offering OT programs. Information
about the prerequisites for other OT schools can be found at www.aota.org. The demand for occupational therapists is very high and is forecast to grow over the next several decades.
Applied Human and Sport Physiology Track
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: This program is set up so you will receive a B.S. from WSC, then be ready for entrance to an occupational therapy program, such as Creighton University’s occupational therapy doctorate program.
For program: Hours may vary
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Natural and Social Sciences
Grades: 3.0 or better needed to enter medical school
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Research, data collection, and analysis
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Evolutionary processes
- Biological systems and structures
- Modern lab techniques
Applied Human and Sport Physiology Track
- Anatomical dissection
- Body composition assessment
- Functional movement assessment
- Health status and risk factor identification
- Prevention and care of injuries
- Injury evaluation and rehabilitation
- Exercise technique and prescription
- Biomechanical or motion analysis
- Nutritional assessment
- Fitness appraisal
- Occupational therapist
- Rehabilitation specialist
- Health services manager
- Sports therapist
- Art therapist
- Rehabilitation therapist
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Nursing homes
- Sports teams and clubs
- Assisted living centers
- Home health agencies
- Mental health clinics
- Non-profit organizations
- Rehabilitation centers
- Schools, colleges, and universities
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and even present your findings at regional conferences, help judge at the Nebraska Science Bowl and Junior Academy of Science Fairs, and visit area science labs.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Internships are not required for pre-professional programs at WSC, as these are typically completed in your final years of professional school for degree completion. However, Career Services is available to help you find job opportunities if you are looking for field-related work experience.