Marketing is a key component of business. It’s critical to the success of any business whether public, private, or nonprofit. How do you entice customers to buy your product? How do you establish your name and credibility? How do you make sure you are visible to the right audiences? A successful marketing career will depend on your ability to understand the importance of embracing the customer as the focal point for planning. Aligning the organization’s objectives to the customer’s needs and wants is the essence of marketing strategy. Marketing managers are concerned about influencing customer perceptions, delivering product benefits, and building brand attitudes and loyalty. The sphere of social media presents an ever-changing dynamic to the understanding and implementation of marketing communications. A degree in marketing from Wayne State College will give you a strong background in business, marketing principles, and strategies to take on careers in marketing, advertising, product management, sales, and/or research. Our experienced and caring professors guide you from learning the fundamentals and vocabulary to conduct market audits and prepare customer segmentation descriptions, ad campaigns, sales materials/presentations, and extensive retail plans.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For concentration: 48
General education: 41
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Business and Technology
Department: Business and Economics
Accreditation: International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Understanding consumerism in marketing programs
- Advertising and communication strategies
- Planning and implementation of sales and marketing programs
- Successful retail store pricing and merchandising plans
- Business management and leadership
- Legal and ethical standards of business
- Principles of business marketing
- Presentation and public speaking
- Oral and written communication
- Computer literacy and competency
- Organization and time management
- Marketing manager
- Marketing specialist
- Sales manager
- Operations manager
- Public relations specialist
- Store manager
- Digital marketing specialist
- Business analyst
- Advertising manager
- Marketing coordinator
- Businesses and corporations
- Marketing firms
- Advertising agencies
- Research firms
- Retail stores
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Government / federal agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Health care facilities
- Manufacturing companies
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you’ll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Business Competition Day – Show your leadership skills by helping to facilitate and judge this annual competition, where hundreds of students from Nebraska and Iowa high schools compete for a chance to win scholarships.
- Executive in Residence - Meet corporate pros at this annual event and address real-world concerns, including topics such as business ethics, corporate culture, leadership, and the changing world of business.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
We encourage all students to complete an internship before graduating with a degree in marketing. You are not required to complete an internship; however, Career Services is available to help you find internship and employment opportunities if you wish to do so.