In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid for studying conservation biology.
About the Conservation Biology Program
Consider taking your love of the outdoors and making a career out of it by studying conservation biology. The Conservation Biology degree program at Wayne State will prepare you well for jobs related to caring for the environment, from animals to plants to water bodies. Our Conservation Biology program will prepare you for careers such as natural resource management, environmental education, forest management, or wildlife biology. Make the environment and natural habitats better for people, animals, and plants as you start your degree in Life Sciences at Wayne State College.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A. or B.S. in Life Sciences / Biology
For major: 55-56
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
Department: Life Sciences
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Biological systems and structures
- Understanding of chemical process and materials
- Experimental design and process
- Modern lab techniques
- Understanding of evolutionary processes
- Ability to gather and analyze data
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Project and time management
- Forest ranger
- Conservation biologist
- Wildlife biologist
- Fisheries biologist
- Resource manager
- Habitat specialist
- Environmental scientist
- Ecosystem specialist
- National parks and forests
- Government organizations
- Conservation societies
- Lumber companies
- Energy companies
- Natural resource facilities
- Tribal lands
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Research labs
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in our Life Sciences programs.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career! Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and present your findings at regional conferences, help judge at the Junior Academy of Science Fair, and visit area science labs.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Internships are not required for the Conservation Biology program at Wayne State College, as these are typically completed in professional school for degree completion. However, Career Services is available to help you find job opportunities if you are looking for field-related work experience.