Good communication is the key to opening many doors. Want to persuade someone to see your point of view? Then you’ll need to learn the art of articulation, discussion, and argumentation. The communication studies degree program at Wayne State College focuses on interactions between individuals, groups, and organizations. In this discipline, you’ll hone your communication skills and turn your passion for words and storytelling into a useful tool for relaying accurate information to the public.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For concentration: 36
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
Popular minors: Art, Biology, Business Administration, Coaching, Criminal Justice, Editing and Publishing, Electronic Media, English, International Studies, Journalism, Music, Sport Management, Theatre
School: Arts and Humanities
Department: Communication Arts
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Interpersonal and family communication
- Speech delivery / public speaking
- Critical thinking and reasoning
- Persuasion, argumentation, and advocacy
- Organizational communication and leadership
- Intercultural communication
- Mass communication through various media
- Conflict management
- Professional standards and ethics
- Cultural awareness and civic engagement
- Professional speaker / presenter
- Public relations specialist
- Digital strategy specialist
- Communications specialist
- Marketing director
- Social media manager
- Actor, announcer, or on-air personality
- Human resource specialist
- Writer or journalist
- Business representative
- Lobbyist or political advocate
- Television / broadcast companies
- Online media outlets
- Publishing companies
- Large businesses and corporations
- Marketing or advertising agencies
- Public relations firms
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Government programs
- Non-profit organizations
- Theatres and production companies
- Schools, colleges, and universities
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education in communication studies by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Workshops - Communications and theater arts workshops will give you abundant firsthand experience for you to hone your skills in preparation for a career in this field of study.
- Trips, conferences, and more – Attend communication conferences and presentations, and participate in leadership opportunities.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Internships through community organizations are a great way to prepare you for a degree in speech communication studies. Careers in corporate, community, and public relations, organizational leadership, organizational consulting, health care, law, ministry, politics, theater production, and public service await you. Your academic advisor and the Career Services department can help you find internship opportunities.