In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid as you pursue your plant biology degree.
Plant Biology Degree Program
Plant Biology 3+1 Transfer Program with UNL
With a plant biology degree, you’ll get to study the cellular makeup of plants, discovering uses for them and perhaps even improving their lifespan. The plant biology degree is a joint program between Wayne State and the UNL College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources (CASNR). You’ll get a solid foundation in the biological sciences in your first three years at WSC, then transfer to UNL to cap your education and gain exposure to experts in agronomy. You'll complete your first three years (90 credits) at WSC and upon acceptance to UNL, you'll transfer all satisfactorily completed credits to UNL and complete your bachelor of science in plant biology (ecology and management option).
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.S. in plant biology from UNL (ecology and management option)
For major at WSC: 75-76
General studies at WSC: 30
For major at UNL: 30
Schools: Science, Health, and Criminal Justice (WSC); College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (UNL-CASNR)
Departments: Life Sciences (WSC); Agronomy and Horticulture (UNL)
Popular minors: Chemistry, Environmental Studies
Scholarships and Aid
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Evolutionary processes
- Biological systems and structures
- Plant science
- Molecular genetics
- General chemistry and physics
- Experimental design and data collection
- Modern lab techniques
- Statistical analysis
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Technical communication
- Field biologist
- Environmental scientist
- Ecosystem manager
- Rangeland manager
- Plant ecologist
- Plant pathologist
- Genetic engineer
- Agricultural manager
- Plant biochemist
- National parks and forests
- Natural resource facilities
- Wildlife preserves
- Government organizations
- Conservation societies
- Plant breeding / seed companies
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Research facilities
- Food science companies
- Landscaping companies
- Energy or water companies
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education as you pursue your plant biology degree.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career! Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and present your findings at conferences such as The Wildlife Society, American Society of Microbiology, The American Association for the Advancement of Science, and The North American Prairie Conference.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas
Before graduating with your plant biology degree, you’ll have a chance to work with local agencies in order to gain some field experience and earn credit toward your degree. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities.