Creating a good beer or wine is not just an art - it’s a science. At Wayne State College, you’ll learn how to brew the perfect craft with a fermentation science degree. Chemistry courses will give you the foundation you need to understand the process of fermentation. Our program includes practical research and outreach to answer questions facing the growing brewing industries in Nebraska, Iowa, South Dakota, and the nation. Hands-on fermentation in the lab paired with an internship in the industry will give you the experience you need to become an expert brewer or winemaker.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
Analytical techniques common to fermenation:
- Determination of alcohol percentage
- Determination of flavor and spoiler components
- Color and iron determinations
- Metal detection (copper / sodium)
- pH / titrations
- Distillation / hydrometer / refractometer
- Membrane plating - filtration / vacuum
- Catalase test / gram stain
- Microscopy - bacteria and yeast identification
- Autoclave - biohazard removal
- PCR - beer spoiler kits
- Yeast propagation
- Brewer / assistant brewer
- Brewing / distilling manager
- Plant manager
- Process engineer
- Quality manager
- Lab manager
- Sensory coordinator
- Research and development specilaist
- Vineyard foreman
- Vineyard manager
- Breweries and wineries
- Beer and wine development companies
- Food development companies
- Industrial companies
- Medical research facilities
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Manufacturing companies
- Research labs
- Biopharmaceutical companies
- Government / federal agnecies
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, art shows, internships, and more.
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research projects, class trips, and more – Conduct your own research and present your work at regional conferences. Additionally, you’ll have opportunities to help judge at the Nebraska Science Bowl and Junior Academy of Science Fairs and also visit area analytical science labs.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your chemistry degree, we encourage you to first complete an internship in order to gain field experience. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities in your field of study.