You have a head for numbers. You have a heart for business. An accounting degree from Wayne State College is the major for you. Your educational experiences here will not only equip you to create and analyze financial information, but also prepare you for a career where others ask you for advice on important decisions because you will often understand the business better than anyone else. Class activities and projects promote development of what you need for success in the accounting profession, beyond technical skills in accounting, tax, and auditing. These include verbal, writing, social, and technology skills. Through this program, Wayne State strives to build professionals of high integrity for placement in business, public accounting firms, governmental entities, or non-profit organizations. Bottom line, realize that a wide variety of accounting career opportunities exists, that accounting graduates are in high demand, and that Wayne State College is here to foster your growth as a future business professional.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For concentration: 48
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Business and Technology
Department: Business and Economics
Accreditation: International Accreditation Council for Business Education
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Financial analysis, budgeting, and forecasting
- Understanding and generating financial reports
- General knowledge of income tax laws
- Familiarity with audits and assurance services
- Business management and leadership
- Legal and ethical standards of business
- Principles of marketing
- Analysis and forecasting
- Presentation and public speaking
- Oral and written communication
- Computer literacy and competency
- Organization and time management
- Budget analyst
- Accounting manager
- Financial manager
- Accounting software advisor
- Financial analyst
- Chief financial officer
- Accounting firms
- Banks and financial institutions
- Businesses and corporations
- Government / federal agencies
- Auditing companies
- Insurance companies
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Non-profit organizations
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Software / tech companies
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you’ll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Business Competition Day – Show your leadership skills by helping to facilitate and judge this annual competition, where hundreds of students from Nebraska and Iowa high schools compete for a chance to win scholarships.
- Executive in Residence - Meet corporate pros at this annual event and address real-world concerns, including topics such as business ethics, corporate culture, leadership, and the changing world of business.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
We encourage all students to complete an internship before graduating with a degree in accounting from Wayne State College. You are not required to complete an internship; however, Career Services is available to help you find internship and employment opportunities if you wish to do so.