Agricultural engineers are needed in many different areas. They attempt to solve agricultural problems concerning power supplies, efficiency of machinery, use of structures and facilities, pollution and environmental issues, and the storage and processing of agricultural products. In the agricultural engineering degree program, you’ll have the opportunity to study machine components and equipment, test agricultural machinery to ensure safety and performance, and provide leadership on environmental concerns. With a degree in agricultural engineering, you could work in farming, forestry, or food processing. Or, if your interests lean more toward the programming field, you could work with artificial intelligence and geospatial systems in the agriculture sector. Wherever your passion lies, you’ll be well-prepared for a career in the engineering field.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: This is a joint program between Wayne State College and University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering. You will complete your first years of coursework at Wayne State, then transfer to UNL to complete your B.S. in agricultural engineering.
Up to 73 hours at Wayne State College
66 hours at the University of Nebraska
School: Natural and Social Sciences
Department: Physical Sciences and Mathematics
Engineering readiness activities: This academic option includes mentoring, tutoring, and experiential learning such as hands-on projects and summer academies to prepare you for the rigors of an engineering program. Acclimation trips to UNL provide the opportunity to meet and network with UNL and WSC engineering ambassadors.
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Design equipment, systems, structures
- Test equipment to ensure safety
- Oversee construction and production operations
- Mathematics and statistics
- Physical science
- Computer-based measurement and analysis tools
- Organizational, listening, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Lead and work effectively in teams
- Process/project engineer
- Machine testing
- Environmental remediation
- Product management
- Equipment design
- Natural resources management
- Engineering firms
- Tech companies
- Government/federal agencies
- Manufacturing companies
- Product development companies
- Processing companies
- Research lab
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Mary Kuchta, MSE
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Projects, trips, and more – Conduct research projects and attend guest lectures and national and regional conventions to showcase your math skills.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Internships are not required for the pre-professional engineering programs at WSC, as this is typically completed in professional school for degree completion. However, Career Services is available to help you find job opportunities if you are looking for field-related work experience.