Do you want to be a nurse but aren't sure how to get there? We offer a clean and simple path to earn your bachelor's degree in nursing (BSN) at UNMC.
Nursing Degree (BSN) Early Admission Pathway
About the Nursing (BSN) Pathway
Our nursing pathway consists of two years at Wayne State, followed by two years with the University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Nursing in Norfolk, Nebraska (UNMC CON-N). This selective BSN program guarantees admission to nursing school, serves increased demand, and helps meets the state's workforce needs.
Nursing degree (BSN) pathway benefits:
- Guaranteed admission to UNMC's College of Nursing after meeting early admission requirements
- Dual advising, coursework, and co-curricular activities with UNMC faculty while at WSC
- Rigorous coursework
- Meets healthcare needs of the state
- Provides a great path for students showing increased interest in healthcare professions due to the pandemic
Eligibility for the Nursing (BSN) Pathway:
- Undergraduate student enrolled at WSC
- Minimum 3.3 GPA
- No pass/fail courses in the sciences (except lab components)
- Must meet with a nursing advisor/coordinator each semester
Progression requirements to continue your BSN at UNMC:
- Minimum 3.3 GPA in all prerequisite courses
- No grades below a C+
- Must have met with nursing advisor/coordinator each semester prior to matriculation into the program
- Active CNA certification
- Successful completion of required prerequisite courses
- Satisfactory background check
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world in the nursing BSN program.
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Dissection techniques
- Biological systems and structures
- Medical ethics
- Lab techniques and safety
- Critical thinking
- Clinical nurse
- Psychiatric nurse
- Pediatric or NICU nurse
- School nurse
- Nurse educator / mentor
- Home health nurse
- Traveling nurse
- Surgical nurse
- Hospice nurse
- Parish nurse
- Flight nurse
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Health care institutions
- Private practices
- Surgical centers
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Government / federal agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Medical research companies
- Insurance companies
- Churches / parishes
- Aviation / travel companies
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the nursing (BSN) program.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and even present your findings at regional conferences, help judge at the Junior Academy of Science Fair, and visit area science labs.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
Internships are not required for pre-professional programs at WSC, as these are typically completed in your final years of professional school for degree completion. However, Career Services is available to help you find job opportunities if you are looking for field-related work experience.