Wayne State College

Veterans Education Benefits

Veterans education benefits help Veterans, service members, and their qualified family members with paying for tuition. At Wayne State College, the Veterans Benefits office is available to help veterans and dependents wishing to enroll for their benefits. For assistance with benefits coordination, please contact Rebeka Wilson, VA Certifying Official, at 402-375-7241 or [email protected].

Benefits to help pay for college

GI Bill®

The GI Bill® helps qualifying Veterans and their family members get money to cover all or some of the costs for school or training. Visit the links below on the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website to learn more about each program, eligibility requirements, and to apply for benefits.

Apply for GI Bill Benefits

Waiver of Tuition for Nebraska Dependents (NDVA)

Wavier of Tuition is available for dependents of eligible veterans at Wayne State College, waiving 100% of tuition charges and tuition-related fees. This benefit is available to the spouse/surviving spouse, biological/adopted child, or step-child of a veteran who:

  • is rated permanently and totally disabled as a result of military service
  • has died of a service connected disability
  • has died subsequent to discharge as a result of injury or illness sustained while a member of the armed forces
  • has been classified as missing in action or a prisoner of war during armed hostilities while a member of the armed forces

Visit veterans.nebraska.gov/waiver to download a copy of the waiver from the NDVA website, along with instructions for completing and submitting the application to the Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs (NVDA). You will also need to work with WSC to obtain Part VI: Student Credentials of the application. Applicants must meet Nebraska residency requirements and may use the program for one bachelor's degree. This is a benefit administered by the State of Nebraska and is independent of educational benefits administered by the USVA. However, the state waiver program may be combined with U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USVA) Chapter 35, Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA).

Dependent and Survivor Assistance (USVA)

Learn about the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program. If you’re the child or spouse of a Veteran or service member who has died, is captured or missing, or has disabilities, you may be able to get help paying for school or job training through the DEA program—also called Chapter 35. Find out if you’re eligible for this benefit.

Transfer Post 9/11 GI Benefits

The Department of Defense (DoD) decides whether you can transfer any of your unused GI Bill® benefits to your family. You can transfer education benefits if you’re on active duty or in the Selected Reserve and you meet the eligibility requirements.

Find out if you can transfer unused benefits

American Legion Legacy Scholarship

The American Legion’s Legacy Scholarship provides college scholarship money to children of post-9/11 veterans who died in active duty, or have a combined VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. Apply Nov. 15 to April 15.

How to apply

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website .

Additional benefits for military students at WSC