Auditions are due Monday, Nov. 25, 2019!
The Festival of Honor Bands: Saturday, Jan. 25, 2020
The Festival of Honor Bands takes place on the last Saturday of January each year and consists of three honor bands - two high school bands (Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band) and one junior high band (for students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades). The bands are comprised of students from Nebraska, Iowa, and South Dakota who come together for a full day of rehearsals culminating in a late afternoon concert.
Students are selected on the basis of a recorded audition and given the opportunity to work with guest clinicians.
How to Audition
- Complete the online Honor Band application.
- Record the appropriate audition music as MP3, WAV, or MP4 file.
- Make each audition a separate file (scales/rudiments and etude in same file) and label as follows:
Instrument-Student Name-School-JH or HS
- Email MP3, WAV, or MP4 files to Dave Bohnert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Audition material is due Monday, Nov. 25, 2019.
All recordings will be adjudicated. Results should be announced before the holiday break (via email).
Directors should expect music and further details of the Honor Band Festival just after the first of the year.
Scales: All high school auditions should begin with Concert C and A Flat scales throughout the individual's full range (including mallets). Please tongue eighth notes at m.m.=80.
Percussion: Snare drum auditions should begin with the single paradiddle. Timpani auditions should begin with a single stroke roll - open/closed/open (slow/fast/slow).
Scales: All junior high auditions should begin with a chromatic scale throughout the individual's full range (including mallets). Please slur eighth notes at m.m.=60.
Percussion: Snare and timpani auditions should begin with a long roll - open/closed/open (slow/fast/slow).
- $5 audition fee per instrument (due with recordings). You may audition on more than one instrument, but you will be assessed $5 for each one.
- $15 festival fee for each applicant selected to perform with the honor bands (due on the day of the festival). This includes lunch in the cafeteria.
Please make all checks payable to Wayne State College (designate "auditons" or "festival fee") and send to the address below. Payment for auditions MUST be submitted at the time of audition.
Festival of Honor Bands
c/o Joyce Trevett
Wayne State College
1111 Main St.
Wayne, NE 68787
Showcase your musical talent and audition today!
Honor Band auditions are due Monday, Nov. 25, 2019.
2019 Festival Clinicians
- Junior High Band – Mr. Jim Kucera, Waverly Middle School
- Symphonic Band – Mr. Chad Dean, O'Neill High School
- Wind Ensemble – Dr. Josh Calkin, Wayne State College
Future Honor Band Dates
Mark your calendar for these future Honor Band dates:
Jan. 30, 2021