Have you been inspired by the teachers and coaches in your past? Share your passion for sports and leading a team by becoming a coach yourself. A coaching degree endorsement is an excellent choice for anyone in the education program or simply anyone who is interested in guiding young athletes to reach their full potential. Coaching means more than showing others how to play a game. It means guiding athletes mentally, teaching them responsibility, and encouraging them even when things don’t go their way. It means instilling in them a hard work ethic. If you are passionate and excited about doing these things, the coaching route is for you. At Wayne State, you can take coaching theory courses including football, basketball, track, wrestling, baseball, softball, soccer, and volleyball. You’ll learn how to set up training and appropriate practice sessions, how to be a positive role model, and how to motivate your team. With a coaching degree endorsement, you’ll open the door to a career that allows you to become just like the coaches who have inspired you.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S. (Supplemental Endorsement)
In addition to choosing the coaching supplemental endorsement, you will also need to select two subject endorsements or one field endorsement to receive your B.A. or B.S.
For endorsement: 18
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours minimum (education programs may require more)
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Coaching fundamentals and theories
- Developing and maintaining athletic programs
- Prevention and care of athletic injuries
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Exercise physiology
- Public speaking and presentation
- Oral and written communication
- Leadership and organization
- Time management
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Gym / P.E. teacher
- Football coach
- Volleyball coach
- Basketball coach
- Track and field coach
- Wrestling coach
- Softball coach
- Soccer coach
- Health club manager
- High schools
- Middle schools
- Colleges and universities
- Professional sports teams
- Youth sports teams
- Community recreation centers
- Health clubs
- Athletic facilities
- Sporting goods stores
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Northeast Nebraska Teacher Academy (NENTA) - Develop your classroom skills and get paid at the same time.
- Coaching – Test your leadership skills as you coach sports teams for local high school, junior high, and recreation leagues.
- Recognition – Each year, the department awards and recognizes one student from each of the HHPS majors for their achievements.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your coaching endorsement, you will complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you’ll work closely with a teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help students find employment opportunities.