You love to sing and are inspired to teach others to sing. Put your love of music to use by educating the next generation of singers and musical artists with a vocal music education degree from Wayne State College. You’ll get to expand your musical background by studying not only vocal techniques but also history and literature of music, conducting, and music software. With a music education degree, you’ll be ready to teach elementary music and choir in grades K-12.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
If you choose the vocal music education subject endorsement, you will actually earn both the K-6 and 7-12 endorsements, and you won’t be required to choose any other endorsement to receive your B.A. or B.S.
For subject endorsements: 59
Professional education: 33-36
General education: 41
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours minimum (education programs may require more)
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Vocal techniques
- Music theory and ear training
- Playing piano and guitar
- Music software: Finale, Sonar, Pyware 3D, and Audacity
- Choral conducting
- Song and choral literature
- History and literature of music
- Foreign language diction
- Vocal instruction and teaching music
- Classroom management and leadership
- Human development and cognition
- Project and time management
- Music teacher
- Vocal instructor
- Recording artist
- Choir director
- Music instructor
- Music producer / editor
- Church musician
- Elementary schools
- Middle schools
- High schools
- Performance groups
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field.They appear regularly throughout the region as clinicians, performing artists, guest conductors, and competition judges. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, art shows, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- Northeast Nebraska Teacher Academy (NENTA) - Develop your classroom skills and get paid at the same time. As a NENTA participant, you’ll meet with mentor teachers on a weekly basis to ensure your growth and success as a teacher.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
As a vocal music education major, you will complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you’ll work closely with an experienced music teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help you find employment opportunities.