Are you ready to take on the world of junior high and the surrounding grades? This world will be filled with adolescents – an exciting yet sometimes scary time for pre-teens and teens. But as a teacher, you’ll be there to be a positive influence in their lives. With the middle level education endorsement, you’ll be qualified to teach grades 5 through 9. You’ll get a variety of students and ages, all looking to you to guide them through this phase in life. With a long-standing, excellent reputation for our education program, Wayne State is the perfect place to begin your career in education.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S. (Subject Endorsement)
Hours required: 125-134
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours
Academic area options: First choice must be from the core of English language arts, science, social science, or mathematics. Second choice may be another core area, family and consumer sciences or health and physical education (for middle level), or any other subject or field endorsement.
School: Education and Counseling
Department: Educational Foundations and Leadership
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Teaching language arts and intermediate reading
- Developing social studies, math, and science curriculum
- Instructional design for grades 5-9
- Literacy assessment methods
- Practices for children with exceptionalities
- Classroom management and organization
- Diverse family systems and parent relationships
- Instructional media and technology
- Consulting and collaborating
- Instructional methods
- Active listening
- Time management
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Elementary school teacher
- Middle school teacher
- Special education teacher
- Math teacher
- Language arts teacher
- Social studies teacher
- Science teacher
- Spanish teacher
- Youth program director
- In-home tutor
- Training and development specialist
- Distance-learning designer
- Elementary schools
- Middle schools
- Community programs
- Youth programs
- Non-profit organizations
- Education / learning facilities
- Instructional software companies
- Government / federal agencies
- Educational resource companies
- Colleges and universities
- Online schools
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Thomas Browning, Ph.D.
Maria Dickson, M.E.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- Kappa Delta Pi
- Student Council for Exceptional Children (SCEC)
- Wayne Student Education Association of Nebraska (WSEAN)
Shows and Exhibits
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
Before graduating with your degree in middle level education, you will complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you will work closely with an experienced teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help students find employment opportunities.