Become an elementary or middle school teacher with the elementary education degree from Wayne State College. Teaching is a rewarding career, and the elementary education K-8 endorsement covers the widest variety of ages. This track will focus you on kindergarten-aged children up through the junior high level. With a long-standing, excellent reputation for our education program, Wayne State is the perfect place to get your elementary education degree.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For field endorsement: 73
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours
School: Education and Counseling
Department: Educational Foundations and Leadership
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Teaching early and intermediate reading
- Developing math, science, art, and music curriculum
- Human development and cognition
- Practices for children with exceptionalities
- Classroom management and organization
- Diverse family systems and parent relationships
- Appropriate practices for children
- Instructional media and technology
- Consulting and collaborating
- Lesson plan development
- Instructional methods
- Monitoring and assessment
- Leadership and supervision
- Active listening
- Time management
- Elementary school teacher
- Middle school teacher
- Special education teacher
- Learning coach
- After-school program manager
- Youth program director
- In-home tutor
- Guidance counselor
- Training and development specialist
- Distance-learning designer
- Elementary schools
- Middle schools
- Youth programs
- Community programs
- Non-profit organizations
- Education / learning facilities
- Instructional software companies
- Government / federal agencies
- Child development centers
- Colleges and universities
- Online schools
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Thomas Browning, Ph.D.
Maria Dickson, M.E.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- Early Childhood Association
- Kappa Delta Pi
- Student Council for Exceptional Children (SCEC)
- Wayne Student Education Association of Nebraska (WSEAN)
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
Before graduating with your degree to teach elementary, you will complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you will work closely with an experienced teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help students find employment opportunities.