In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid for your degree in speech education.
You love language and communication, but have you ever thought of teaching the art of speech and articulation? Combine your desire to teach with the passion you have for all kinds of communication, including discussion and argumentation, rhetoric, interpersonal, even communication theory and processes. With a speech education degree from Wayne State, you’ll be able to teach speech communication in grades 7-12. You’ll be prepared to direct junior high and high school speech activities and keep the importance of intriguing speech and communication alive.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
For supplemental endorsement: 21
Professional education: 27-33
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours minimum (education programs may require more)
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Teaching and instruction
- Classroom management and leadership
- Presentation and public speaking
- Interpersonal communication
- Critical thinking and reasoning
- Persuasion, argumentation, and advocacy
- Organizational communication and leadership
- Intercultural communication
- Directing communication activities
- Professional standards and ethics
- Cultural awareness and civic engagement
- Speech teacher
- Public relations teacher
- Professional speaker/presenter
- Public relations specialist
- Event planner
- Actor, announcer, or on-air personality
- Marketing or advertising
- Writer or journalist
- Business/organization representative
- Foreign relations
- Public schools
- Private schools
- Public relations firms
- Communication companies
- Media companies
- Event planning companies
- Marketing or advertising agencies
- Government agencies
- Non-profit organizations
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Liz Viall, Ph.D.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Northeast Nebraska Teacher Academy (NENTA) - Develop your classroom skills and get paid at the same time.
- Workshops - Communication and theater arts workshops will give you firsthand experience and help you develop your skills to prepare yourself for a career in these fields.
- Trips, conferences, and more – Attend communication conferences and presentations, and participate in leadership opportunities.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
With an education endorsement in speech communication, you will complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you will work closely with an experienced teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help students find employment opportunities.