You love language, and you have desire to teach. Turn your two interests into a great career and consider becoming an English teacher. You’ll get to pass on the importance of good communication to the next generation. You’ll be eligible to teach subjects such as English, composition, literature, speech, theater, communication, journalism, and reading in grades 7-12.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
Normally you would need to choose two subject endorsements; however, secondary English is an exception. You may graduate with a single subject endorsement in secondary English to receive your B.A. or B.S.
For subject endorsement: 42
General education: 41
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours minimum (education programs may require more)
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Creative writing
- Literary analysis
- Advanced English grammar and writing
- Linguistic theory and applications
- American and British literature
- Shakespearean plays and poetry
- Teaching young adult literature
- Classroom strategies to teach writing
- Developmental reading for middle and high school
- Classroom management and leadership
- Presentation and public speaking
- Critical thinking and reasoning
- Professional standards and ethics
- Oral and written communication
- Middle school English teacher
- High school English teacher
- Journalism teacher
- Literature teacher
- Legal or technical writer
- Freelance writer
- Middle schools
- High schools
- Colleges and universities
- Businesses and organizations
- Newspapers and magazines
- Publishing companies
- Public offices
- Non-profit organizations
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- Northeast Nebraska Teachers Academy (NENTA) - Develop your classroom skills and get paid at the same time.
- Competitions and conferences – Showcase your skills when you compete in poetry and fiction slams or the Hot Papers Contest, and meet the pros when you participate in writing programs and attend conferences.
- The Neihardt Seminar – a special summer course taught by a visiting writer/scholar
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree to teach English, you will complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you will work closely with an experienced English teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help students find employment opportunities.