In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid for your English Literature degree.
About the English Literature Major
Studying classic literature provides you with more than just knowledge of fascinating stories. It is also helpful in developing communication skills and the way you view ideas and concepts. The English Literature degree program can deepen your knowledge to prepare you for careers deeply rooted in language and rhetoric – careers such as law, public relations, speechwriting, publishing, reporting, theatre, and teaching. In the English Literature program at Wayne State, you’ll study material ranging from the Old and New Testaments to Homer, Virgil, and Shakespeare, as well as modern and post-modern European, British, and American poetry, drama, and fiction. With the English Literature degree program, get ready to broaden your horizon and dive deep into the wonderful world of the written word.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world as an English Literature major.
- Writing poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction
- Analytical approaches to literature
- World literature across various cultures
- American literature throughout the ages
- British literature throughout the ages
- Shakespearean plays and poetry
- Advanced reading and writing
- Critical thinking
- Research and analysis
- Cultural awareness
- Policy or grant writer
- Legal or technical writer
- Freelance writer
- Publishing companies
- Newspapers and magazines
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Businesses and organizations
- Law firms
- Government agencies
- Public offices
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the English Literature degree program.
Opportunities for English Literature Majors Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education as an English Literature major by participating in clubs, organizations, contributing to publications, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- Competitions and conferences – Showcase and develop your skills when you compete in poetry and fiction slams or attend the English Festival, and meet the pros when you participate in writing programs and attend conferences.
- The Neihardt Seminar – a special summer course taught by a visiting writer/scholar
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
You are not required to complete an internship for your degree in English Literature, but opportunities are available if you wish to do so. WSC can provide you with a variety of publication outlets, writing opportunities, and other events to build your portfolio and gain practical experience in this field of study. Career Services is also available to help you find internship opportunities.