The Wayne State Forensics Team is a competitive speech team that provides students the opportunity to grow their skills in oral and written communication, critical thinking, research development, creativity, leadership, and confidence.
The motto of the WSC Forensics team is “Speak Your Truth.” Whether you’re telling a story through an interpretation event or advocating for an issue in debate, speech and debate gives you the opportunity to stand up and take a stand. Your voice is powerful — use it!
Wayne State Forensics students compete in a variety of categories during the forensics season, which runs from mid-September to mid-April. Students are expected to practice every day outside of class as well as meet with the coach once a week in a 30-minute practice slot. Students of all levels of experience in forensics are welcome!
Students on the forensics team also have the opportunity to practice what they have learned by assisting with the WSC Summer Speech Camp, which is designed to give participants a “leg up” on their competition.
The two main categories of events are Public Address and Interpretation.
Public address events include:
- Communication Analysis/Rhetorical Criticism
- Persuasive speaking
- Informative speaking
- After dinner speaking
- Extemporaneous speaking (limited prep)
- Impromptu speaking (limited prep)
Interpretation - This competition category centers on a student selecting and performing published material and appeals to many who enjoy acting and theatre:
- Dramatic interpretation
- Prose interpretation
- Program oral interpretation (POI)
- Duo interpretation
- 2021 Bethany Vocal Viking Small Division Tournament Sweepstakes Champions
- 2022 NFA National Tournament 4th Place Novice Persuasive Speaker
- 2023 NFA National Tournament 4th Place Novice Extemporaneous Speaker
- The team also has brought home multiple event champions, finalists, and sweepstakes wins at regular season meets.