In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships for the public accounting degree program at Wayne State College.
Public Accounting Degree Program
Take your math and analytical skills to the next level. With the public accounting degree program, you can use your skills and interests to serve the public. Become a public accountant that everyone trusts, and you’ll be sought out time after time. After you get your business administration - public accounting degree from Wayne State, you’ll be prepared to sit for the CPA exam in Nebraska (and most other states), which you must pass in order to officially become a CPA (certified public accountant). Your educational experiences at Wayne State will provide you with a solid foundation in the technical areas of accounting, taxes, and auditing, and they will help you understand what the numbers mean. You’ll learn how to suggest business strategies to implement, how to identify financial statement deficiencies or accounting system inefficiencies, and how to assess fraud risks. Our aim is to develop graduates who are able to see the big picture, but who do not neglect the importance of detail. Class activities and project-based learning provide you opportunities to use technology, solve problems creatively, prioritize to meet deadlines, and work effectively in teams. Through our public accounting degree program, Wayne State strives to build polished professionals of high integrity for placement in business, public accounting firms, governmental entities, or non-profit organizations.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A. or B.S. in Business Administration/Public Accounting
49 hours for concentration
30 hours in general education
School: Business and Technology
Department: Business and Economics
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world in the public accounting degree program.
- Financial analysis, budgeting, and forecasting
- Understanding and generating financial reports
- Fundamentals required to prepare tax returns
- Tax research and planning methods
- Familiarity with audits and assurance services
- Internal control, evaluation, and handling deficiencies
- Business management and leadership
- Legal and ethical standards of business
- Principles of business marketing
- Presentation and public speaking
- Assist in fraud examinations
- Tax preparer and consultant
- Accounting systems specialist
- Chief financial officer
- Financial advisor
- Forensic accountant
- Fraud investigator
- Risk management specialist
- Budget analyst
- Internal auditor
- CPA firms
- Businesses corporations
- Private organizations
- Government agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Educational institutions
- Software/tech companies
- Hospitals / medical clinics
- Manufacturing companies
- Law firms
- Banks / financial institutions
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 92% of the full-time faculty in this department holding the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the public accounting degree program.
Vaughn Benson, Ph.D.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education in the public accounting degree program by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
We encourage all students to complete an internship before graduating with a business administration - public accounting degree. You are not required to complete an internship; however, Career Services is available to help you find internship and employment opportunities if you wish to do so.