In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid to help you on your path to an optometry degree.
About the Pre-Optometry Program
Imagine yourself giving a child or adult their first pair of glasses, able to see things clearly for the first time. And as an eye doctor, or optometrist, you aided them on their path to finally have clear vision. The field of optometry is a challenging yet rewarding career in medicine. You’ll be examining patients’ eye health, fitting them for glasses or contacts, perhaps performing surgery for permanent clear vision. You can start your path to becoming an optometrist at Wayne State, majoring in biology or chemistry and taking courses in science and math. After receiving your undergraduate degree, you’ll be ready to move on to graduate work at a professional optometry school.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: This program is set up so you will receive your B.S. at WSC, then be ready to continue with graduate work at a professional optometry school.
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
Department: Physical Sciences and Mathematics
Grades: C or better is needed to enter optometry school
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world in the pre-optometry program.
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Introductory zoology
- Evolutionary processes
- Biological systems and structures
- Experimental plant science
- Molecular genetics
- Cellular biology
- General chemistry and physics
- Research, data collection, and analysis
- Modern lab techniques
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Optometry assistant
- Surgical assistant
- Low vision specialist
- Ophthalmic medical tech
- Pharma consultant
- Optometry educator
- Private optometry practices
- Vision screening offices
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Eyeglass manufacturing companies
- Government agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Medical research facilities
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Eyeglass prescription stores
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the pre-optometry program.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education in the pre-optometry program by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and even present your findings at regional conferences, help judge at the Nebraska Science Bowl and Junior Academy of Science Fairs, visit area science labs.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Internships are not required for the pre-optometry program at Wayne State College, as these are typically completed in professional school for degree completion. However, Career Services is available to help you find job opportunities if you are looking for field-related work experience.