In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid for the health sciences degree program.
Health Sciences Degree Program
About the Health Sciences Degree Program
The health sciences degree program at Wayne State College is a great path to choose if you are interested in a career in the medical field – medicine, dentistry, nursing, physical or occupational therapy, clinical laboratory science, mortuary science, respiratory therapy, and other allied health science fields. Your education will be heavily based in biology with emphasis on how it relates to health sciences. The health sciences degree program is often chosen as part of a pre-professional program in the medical field. With a life sciences (health sciences) degree, you will be prepared to move on to career possibilities such as a physician, nurse, or similar health profession, or graduate work in medicine.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: This program is set up so you can receive your B.S. from Wayne State after completing one of our pre-professional curriculum programs and then successfully completing one or two years at a professional graduate or doctoral school.
Suggested pre-professional programs: Pre-Medicine, Pre-Nursing, Pre-Physician Assistant, Pre-Radiography, Pre-Veterinary Medicine, Pre-Podiatric Medicine, Pre-Optometry, Pre-Dentistry, Pre-Osteopathic Medicine, Pre-Pharmacy
For major: 90
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
Popular minors: Chemistry, Public and Global Health, Physics, Environmental Studies
School: Science, Health, and Criminal Justice
Department: Life Sciences
Scholarships and Aid
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Histology and immunology
- Advanced cellular biology
- CPR for health care providers
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Cardiovascular anatomy and function
- Evolutionary processes
- Biological systems and structures
- Molecular genetics
- General chemistry and physics
- Introductory zoology
- Experimental plant science
- Research, data collection, and analysis
- Modern lab techniques
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Family physician
- Physician assistant
- Internal medicine specialist
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Private medical practices
- Surgical centers
- Emergency rooms
- Veterinary clinics
- Rehabilitation centers
- Nursing homes
- Medical research facilities
- Government / federal agencies
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Non-profit organizations
- Medical equipment companies
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in our life science degree programs.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career! Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and present your findings at conferences such as The Wildlife Society, American Society of Microbiology, The American Association for the Advancement of Science, and The North American Prairie Conference.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Internships are not required for a degree in health science at Wayne State College, as this would typically completed at a professional medical school. However, Career Services is available to help you find job opportunities if you are looking for field-related work experience.