The study of biology is the study of life. As a biologist, you’ll explore living and breathing creatures, studying organisms from the tiniest insects to the largest mammals. At Wayne State, you’ll get to do these things and more. You’ll get plenty of time in the lab, using high quality equipment and learning from expert faculty. Wayne State even has its own natural history museum. There are countless opportunities for careers with your biology degree, including positions with state and national parks, fisheries, wildlife management organizations and research labs. Or, with an undergraduate degree in biology, you’ll be an excellent candidate for graduate school in medicine, dentistry, nursing, physical therapy, physician assistant, chiropractic, or veterinary medicine. The living and breathing world is vast and open – just choose your route!
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Evolutionary processes
- Biological systems and structures
- Research, data collection and analysis
- Modern lab techniques
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Ability to gather and analyze data
- Research scientist
- Lab technician
- Biomedical sales
- Nature conservation specialist
- Genetic scientist
- Biomedical engineer
- Conservation societies
- Government / federal agencies
- National parks
- Environmental agencies
- Zoos and aquariums
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Medical research facilities
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Public utility companies
- Non-profit organizations
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career! Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and present your findings at conferences such as The Wildlife Society, American Society of Microbiology, The American Association for the Advancement of Science, and The North American Prairie Conference.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree in biology, you’ll have a chance to work with local agencies in order to gain some field experience and earn credit toward your degree. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities.